Tuesday, March 6, 2007

I Will Be Presenting at the Annual UNC System Teaching and Learning w/Technology Conference

This will be a hands-on workshop presentation, lasting 1 1/2 hours, and I hope to show how "easy" it is to location-enable applications with FOSS. I think I'll begin with an overview of what we've done for the last two years in the area of context awareness, and show a quick, locally hosted version of our context browser. Then demonstrate live location determination using Placelab along with some RFID stuff, then perhaps demonstrate how to visualize current location using MapServer and some add-ons.

We've got enough experience to know that live demos, when they require reliable connectivity, are a real gamble, so I'll try to run it all self-contained on a tablet. Let's hope there will be at least a few 802.11 access points within range, and I really hope that there will be a window nearby, so I can get real GPS over Bluetooth.

I'll probably drive over there this weekend and stumble for access points ;)

Anyway, tonight I was playing with QuantumGIS's SPIT (Shapefile to PostGIS Import Tool) plug-in. It's kind of cool -- let's you shove data from a .shp into yer PostGIS instance.


No comments: