Sunday, April 22, 2007

Tracking Myself

This weekend I messed around further with mapping my movements. This is not really novel these days, but I want to do things by myself, in order to understand them better. And I want to do it with stuff I wrote or set up myself.

What set me off was realizing that MapServer could handle a GML textfile as a layer. That means I can simply keep a GML file current with multiple points. For example, a GPS trace, as reported from my cell phone, and then have all of those points rendered in a map almost real-time.

Next consider that I can have a map file definition that tracks multiple location reporters in that fashion , and have each rendered as a distinct layer. Each reporter's location can be represented with a different symbol (icon) in the generated map visualization. This means nearly real-time tracking of multiple persons and other entities, assuming they choose to broadcast. The delay is negligible, and dependent only upon fine tuning of the apps and scripts involved.

No comments: